The facilitation methodology applied during the alignment workshop is Value Management, focusing on systematically identifying the critical issues that are currently need to be addressed and developing strategies to guide the team to recommend and implement specific goals.
Many times the solution is already available but no agreement can be obtained from the stakeholders if these solutions are correct. Therefore an Alignment Workshop is useful to obtain agreement from all on the relevant strategies that need to be implemented.
Process steps for Value Management
- State the Purpose: why we need to do anything! Knowing the Purpose you can then select the “right” Participant.
- List the Issues: begin capturing all relevant information
- Objective statement: develop – this is where we want to get to.
- Results to Achieve build the list, these address all the Issues
- Objective Matrix complete the remaining three quadrants
- List Functions using Verb-Noun construction – from the Results to Achieve list
- Prioritise Functions apply Numerical Evaluation
- Creativity apply to Causal Functions
- Evaluate Solutions & ideas generated
- List Actions what gets done, by when & by whom
The above is a straightforward listing of the process steps generally used during most workshops
Listing real and perceived Issues and Concerns will enable the team to identify the problems and opportunities related to the project. The information will also assist to determine the Objective and more specific the listing of “Results to Achieve”.
From there the Results to Achieve are translated into functional requirements and then analysed against priority and appropriateness to the problem statement.
A cause / effect analysis is then applied resulting generally in to a 80/20 scenario, highlighting the most important functions that need to be addressed to achieve the objective.
These functional strategies will then be translated into recommendations with responsibilities and timeframes allocated to team members with the task to determine detailed goals, determine who needs to be involved and calculate/estimate potential cost improvements and action plans.
Strategic Directions Workshop
The same process is applied for a “Strategic Direction Workshop”
Turn-Around Strategy Workshop
The same process is applied for a “Turn-Around Strategy Workshop”
Tender Adjudication (Evaluation of Proposals)
Thsi process incorporates most of the Value Management process, plus the a PIN Analysis (Positive , Interesting and Negative attributes of the proposal) and the Perspective Modelling Matrix that allows for the evaluation of the proposals against weighed Criteria.
Option Selection Process
Thsi process incorporates most of the Value Management process, plus the a PIN Analysis (Positive , Interesting and Negative attributes of the proposal) and the Perspective Modelling Matrix that allows for the evaluation of the various options available against weighed Criteria.